Friday, May 3, 2013

A Hui Hou! Goodbye Hawaii!

As some of you may know, I'm moving from my tropical home in the island state of Hawai'i to the mainland. So right now I'm writing from my brother's house in Washington state. Everything is looking good so far and I'll try to keep all of you posted on my whereabouts as I travel.

Before I left I managed to build 2 final bows, my 15th and 16th bows of the year. Here they are for your viewing pleasure.



The first bow was a gift for a friend who had wanted to build a bow with me but I ran out of time. The second is a bow for fellow PVC bowyer Hawaiiarcher84 on Youtube. Both are wrapped in vinyl and stitched up the belly side. It's a technique that has been my favorite for finishing bows, but due to the time-intensive nature not one I use very often. One of these days I'll show you all how to do it.

That's it for now, I'll see you all next time!

-Nick

Goodbye Hawaii, you've been good to me.

3 comments:

Alex Pascual said...

Hi Nick. It's been a few since we last heard. Hope all is going well with your travels. Did you find any archery shops or ranges?

Unknown said...

Hey, Nick. Welcome to the Pacific NW. Your site says you moved to Seattle. My son-in-law and I are really having fun making your bows. Scouts and girls' youth groups love them. We have come up with a molding jig that cuts making the 45-50 lb bow down to about a half hour start to finish. We also found that if you string the bow backwards it brings it down to a draw weight young kids can handle and have great fun with. We'd love to show the mold to you. What's cool is we live in Kent, about 12 miles south of Seattle. Give us a shout!

Ibanous said...

Hey Nick,

Welcome to the NW. You've been spoiled by what I think is the best summer we've had in my memory.

I took an interest in your PVC bow building after recently getting into Archery as a hobby. Though I don't get as much time as I'd like, I get great pleasure from building things with my own hands. Some day I'll take a try at crafting my own wood longbow, but before that I want to try your PVC bow building technique.

I haven't had the chance to start yet but I will once summer is over and I wrap up the house projects that have to get done first.

My family and I are members of Skookum archery club in Puyallup. If you haven't yet you should check it out we have a great flat range and several fantastic walkthrough courses. http://www.skookumarchery.com/